Front Page

Previous Story

NIH Record vertical blue bar column separator
Study Subjects Sought graphic

Stopping Your HRT? Worried About Mood?

The Behavioral Endocrinology Branch, NIMH, is investigating whether mood, anxiety and irritability accompany hormone replacement therapy (HRT) withdrawal. Participants should be ages 45-55, with a past history of perimenopausal mood symptoms responsive to estrogen therapy (ET) or HRT, who are currently on ET or HRT and in good physical health. Call Linda Simpson-St. Clair, 496-9576.

Female Volunteers Needed

The Behavioral Endocrinology Branch, NIMH, seeks healthy female volunteers ages 40-50 to participate in longitudinal studies of the perimenopause. Volunteers must have regular menstrual cycles and be medication-free. Periodic hormonal evaluations, symptom rating completion and occasional interviews will be performed. Subjects will be paid. Call Linda Simpson-St. Clair, 496-9576.

Trauma Survivors Needed

NIMH is seeking volunteers over 18 years old who suffer from post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) to participate in research studies that include mental health assessment, brain imaging (compensation provided) and/or a medication trial. Call 1-866-627-6464 (TTY 1-866-411-1010).

Healthy Volunteers Needed

Participate in an ovarian function study. Call 1-800-411-1222 (TTY 1-866-411-1010). Compensation is available. Refer to study number 00-CH-0189.

Anthrax Vaccine Study Recruits

Walter Reed Army Institute of Research is currently seeking volunteers for an anthrax vaccine study. You may be able to participate if you are healthy and between ages 18 and 61. Participants will be provided a free medical evaluation including blood tests, and will be paid for time and effort. For more information, call (301) 319-9335 or (301) 319-9320.

Healthy Children Needed

Healthy children are needed for a volunteer study # 99-N-0045 at NIH. One visit required, and compensation is available. Call 1-800-411-1222 (TTY 1-866-411-1010).

Healthy Mothers Needed

Healthy mothers are needed for a volunteer study # 99-N-0045 at NIH. One visit required, and compensation is available. Call 1-800-411-1222 (TTY 1-866-411-1010).

Normal Volunteers Needed

The Clinical Brain Disorders Branch, NIMH, is looking for normal volunteer college-educated men and women between the ages of 30 and 55 for a 2-day outpatient study of variables that might be related to the cause of schizophrenia. The study includes MRI, neurocognitive testing and a neurological exam, among other things. A stipend is available. Call 1-888-674-6464 for more information.

Twins, Close Siblings Sought for Study

NIEHS is seeking 400 families with twins or pairs of close brothers or sisters for a nation-wide study seeking to identify the causes of a series of systemic rheumatic diseases. Specifically sought are volunteer families in which one twin or one of a pair of close brothers or pair of close sisters has rheumatoid arthritis, polyarticular juvenile rheumatoid arthritis, lupus, systemic sclerosis or idiopathic inflammatory myopathy, an autoimmune muscle disease.

The other same-gender twin or sibling must be free of these and other autoimmune diseases.

Even in the case of identical twins, the likelihood that one twin will have the disease and the other won't is generally greater than 50 percent. The twins or siblings may be children or adults. Their parents are also eligible for enrollment to study the genetic risk factors for these diseases.

Blood and urine samples will be taken to test both for environmental exposures and for minor variations in their genes that might make the volunteer more susceptible, or less, to a disease trigger. The volunteers will be followed for 5 years but will remain under the care of their own local doctors. Washington-area volunteers may enroll at the Clinical Center. Volunteers in other parts of the country can enroll at their local doctors' offices and have their samples sent to Bethesda for evaluation.

To qualify for the study, brother pairs and sister pairs must be within 47 months of each other. For more information visit or call 1-800-411-1222, TTY 1-866-411-1010.

Up to Top