skip navigation
Vol. LVIII, No. 5
March 10, 2006

previous story

Are You Nearing the Perimenopause?
The Behavioral Endocrinology Branch, NIMH, seeks healthy female volunteers ages 40-50 to participate in longitudinal studies of the perimenopause. Volunteers must have regular menstrual cycles and be medication-free. Periodic hormonal evaluations, symptom ratings and occasional interviews will be performed. Subjects will be paid. Call Linda Simpson-St. Clair, (301) 496-9576 (TTY 1-866-411-1010).

Thyroid Cancer Study
An NIDDK study seeks individuals recently diagnosed with thyroid cancer. Call 1-866-444-2214 (TTY 1-866-411-1010) for details.

Gray Platelet Syndrome Study
Gray platelet syndrome (GPS) is a rare bleeding disorder that causes excessive bleeding and bruising. Doctors at NIH invite those with GPS and their families to participate in a study to identify the gene(s) that cause the disorder. Families with at least one member diagnosed with GPS may be eligible to participate in this study. Participants will be required to obtain and ship a blood sample to NIH for genetic analysis. No travel is required for this study and you will be reimbursed for any shipment costs. To participate, contact Dr. Meral Gunay-Aygun at (301) 594-4181 or 1-866-444-2214 (TTY 1-866-411-1010) or

Late Day Eaters and Meal Skippers
Women who eat most of their food in the late afternoon and evening most days of the week who are also nonsmoking, pre-menopausal and without major medical or mental health problems (normal weight and overweight, ages 18 to 50) are sought for a study on eating and metabolism. Participation requires: keeping a 1-week eating diary and 2 visits (a total of about 2½ hours) including meal estimation, assessment of metabolic rate and assessment of body composition. Participants will receive compensation for participation and feedback on their dietary food-intake and resting metabolic rate and body composition. For more information call the Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences at (301) 295-9664.

Do You Have Alcohol Problems?
Are you between ages 21 and 65, with attention deficit disorder and want to quit drinking? The National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism needs people with ADD who are also seeking treatment for alcohol problems. Participants will receive treatment (without charge) as part of a research study. If you think you may qualify, call (301) 451-0689.

Do You Have Follicular Lymphoma?
Your own body may be your best defense. Patients who have not had chemotherapy may call for a lymphoma vaccine study: 1-866-444-2214 (TTY 1-866-411-1010).