skip navigation nih record
Vol. LXIII, No. 24
November 25, 2011

previous story


Research Study Volunteers Needed

Do you drink alcohol? Drink daily or almost daily? Are you between the ages of 21 and 60? NIAAA is seeking men and women to study whether a medication for smoking cessation (Chantix) may affect drinking. Volunteers should be healthy and drug-free. Qualified subjects will be reimbursed for their participation. The study lasts 9 weeks and requires 5 outpatient visits and one overnight visit at the Clinical Center. For more details, call (301) 496-7500. Refer to study 08-AA-0137.

Women Needed for Study of Cortisol-Blocking Med

NICHD is looking for women ages 45 to 70 who have had menopause, are overweight, have abnormal glucose and triglyceride (form of bad” cholesterol) levels and are not on any estrogen-containing hormone therapy. After an initial screening visit for general health assessment, participants will undergo treatment with a cortisol-blocking medication (mifepristone) or a non-active pill (placebo) for 7 days. Each participant will take both study agents with a gap of 6 to 8 weeks between the two. Testing before and after treatment with the study medications will include blood-drawing over 24 hours, urine collection and intravenous glucose tolerance test and 1- to 2-day overnight inpatient stay. Compensation will be provided. For more information, call 1-800-411-1222 (TTY 1-866-411-1010) and refer to study 11-CH-0208.

Study of Effects of Exercise on Cortisol

NICHD is looking for men ages 18-30 who run more than 28 miles a week or exercise for less than 1 hour a week. Participants will provide urine, saliva and blood samples as outpatients. Participants will take study medications on 4 afternoons and come for additional testing. Healthy normal weight men are encouraged to call 1-800-411-1222 (TTY 1-866-411-1010) and refer to study 11-CH-0078. Compensation is provided for a completed study.

Women’s Health Studies Seek Healthy Volunteers

Healthy women ages 45-65 are invited to participate in outpatient research studies. Compensation is provided. Call (301) 496-9576 and refer to protocol 88-M-0131.

back to top of page